Gluten Free Soy Free Dairy Free Corn Free Stuffed Pepper Recipe
One of my readers submitted this recipe. Thanks Vanessa!
5 Medium Tomatoes (about the size of baseballs)
1 clove fresh garlic
1/4 cup of chopped white onion
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
several leaves of chopped fresh basil
1. Chop garlic and onions into small pieces. In a large pot, pour in the olive oil and over low heat, add the garlic and onions. Leave uncovered
2. While step 1 is starting to cook down, you can start to peel the skins off of the tomatoes. ( I researched a fast and really easy way to do it.) Use a knife to remove the stem and cut a shallow X boil a small pot of water, using a slotted spoon, drop a tomato into the boiling water for about 15-20 seconds then drop tomato into a bowl of ice water. When the tomato cools, the skin peels off easily.
3. Crush the tomatoes. I couldn’t find anything less messy that worked as well as me smushing them with my hands.
4. Add the tomatoes to the pot with garlic and onions.
5. Season sauce with the basil, salt and pepper.
6. Cover pot with a lid and let simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours.
NOTE: Thanks to Michaelaw for the lovely photo!